ABOUT THIS SERIES: The American middle class is floundering, and it has been for decades. The Post examines the mystery of what's gone wrong and shows what the country must focus on to get the economy working for everyone again.
- Chapter 1: Why America's middle class is lost
- Chapter 2: The devalued American worker
- Chapter 3: The college trap that keeps people poor
- Chapter 4: A black hole for our best and brightest
- Chapter 5: The great start-up slowdown
- Chapter 6: The broken talent flow
- Also see: In love, opposites don't attract — and that's a big problem for inequality
My personal favorite part of this series has been Chapter 4, which describes how the appeal of the financial industry has drawn our best and brightest minds from other pursuits.